Family Literacy Resources
Steps for Reading Together
- Let your child choose the book.
- Find a comfortable place to read.
- Talk about the book first. Ask questions like: “What do you think this book is about?” and “Do you like the picture on the front cover?”
- Read with lots of expression and enthusiasm.
- Ask your child to help you read. Fade your voice when you come to a repetitive phrase.
- Talk to your child while you read to them. Ask them questions about the story.
- Have fun!
Return to Resources for Parents