Family Literacy Resources
What things can you do at home to support your children’s learning?
- Tell your children stories about when you were growing up. Or tell them stories about when they were young. Everyone loves to hear about their birth story.
- Make a family book for your child. Get pictures of all your family members and make a book that you and your child can read together.
- Give your children lots of opportunities to write, colour and draw.
- Put on a children’s CD and sing the songs together. Children love to sing and dance.
- Go for a walk together and talk about all the different signs in your community. Soon your children will be ‘reading’ the signs on their own.
- Read together everyday. Children love to have the same story read to them over and over again!
- Bake together. You can read the recipe together and measure all the ingredients for the recipe. What a great way to spend time together and learn.
- Play board games together. Monopoly, Scattergories and Scrabble all have lots of reading involved and they are fun too!
- Let your child see you read. Modeling reading is really important
Return to Resources for Parents