National Literacy Organizations
Literacy and Essential Skills Organizations
- ABC Teach
A ton of activities for the preschool and elementary level. Worksheets, shape books, colouring pages and so much more.
- All Crafts
Tons of great craft ideas from holidays to general crafts. All free!
- Aaron Shepard's Storytelling Page: Tales & Tips on How to Tell a Story
Legends, stories, ideas and scripts and much more.
- DLTK's Crafts for Kids
DLTK's Crafts for Kids features a variety of fun, printable children's crafts, coloring pages and more including projects for holidays, educational themes and some of our children's favorite cartoon characters.
- Enchanted Learning
Crafts, printouts, theme units and more. You can pay $20 for full access or access only some of the activities.
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood Education
Free preschool lessons plans, activities and resources. Lots of great stuff!
- Family Literacy
Family literacy activities and ideas for everyday of the week!
- Family Resource Programs - Canada
Lots of great websites and information about upcoming events and special days and weeks.
- Family Education.com
Blogs, websites, magazine articles and more. Worth a peek.
- Gayle's Preschool Rainbow – Activity Central
Theme units for a variety of topics from holidays to dinosaurs.
- Health Canada
National website for programs and services related to health.
- The Idea Box
Crafts, games, ideas, activities, recipes, forums and much more…
- Kids Crafts Weekly
Sign up for a weekly enews that has new craft and learning ideas. Great website too!
- NALD Family Literacy Resources
A directory of family literacy programs across Canada.
- Pampers Parenting Institute/T. Berry Brazelton
Information on prenatal nutrition and care, baby care, toddler care and preschool children.
- Perpetual Preschool
Theme units for a variety of subjects including holidays. Craft ideas, songs, poems, snack ideas and much more.
- Storysacks - Canada
Learn more about Storysacks and how you can get involved.
Aboriginal Language Literacy
- Adults with Learning Disabilities, ERIC Digest No. 189, September 1998 - This digest looks at current definitions of learning disabilities, the experiences of adults with LD, factors influencing their successful adjustment to adult life, and strategies for adult educators and counselors
- After School, What Next? (PDF file - Acrobat Reader required) by Michelle Sarkees Wircenski, Jerry Wircenski, and Lynda West, excerpted from Unlocking Potential.
- Characteristics of Adults with Specific Learning Disabilities, U.S. Dept. of Education, Office of Vocational and Adult Education, 1998 - Overview of characteristics of adults w/ learning disabilities, plus some of the myths associated with this group
- Find out about the special ABILITIES of people with dyslexia at www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/abilities
- Learning Disabilities Association of Canada
- LINCS Reviewed resources for Students / Learners - Go here for many useful sites and books for adult learners.
- LD Online
- LD Pride Online
- LD Resources - A wealth of information and links to other resources. Good source for special education technology, including consumer tips.
- LD Teens - A web site by teens for teens with learning disabilities.
- Odin Books
- Secrets of the Brain
- Teaching Students with FAS/E
- True stories of adults with LD are featured on LD Online www.ldonline.org/first_person. Read about their struggles, successes, and tips for living with learning disabilities.
- What are the issues facing ADULTS with LD? For articles on employment, relationships, and more go to www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/adult/index.html.
Internet Resource Lists
- AlphaPlus Index to Web Resources - The AlphaPlus Index to Web resources is an index to selected Internet sites and resources of interest to practitioners and learners in the fields of adult literacy and English as a Second Language.
- NWT Public Library