Chapter Three: Nina
Activity 1 - Vocabulary
Learners look these words up in a dictionary and use them in sentences to show the meaning of the word (Handout 1).
Activity 2 – Chapter Questions
Learners answer questions about the chapter. The questions are listed on Handout 2. Below are the questions and answers for the instructor.
- How many children did David and Martha have? 6
- What did the preacher think of Shamanism? People who practised it would be punished.
- What epidemics came to that region? Measles, smallpox, diphtheria, typhoid, tuberculosis, and influenza.
- What did epidemics do to Native people? Wiped out thousands of Native Alaskans.
- What belief did Aunt Nina follow which her sisters Minnie and Ethel didn't? She sat in a tent alone during her first menses, a tradition to not jinx the man's hunt.
- Why did Aunt Nina believe that she survived the epidemics and her sisters didn't? Because she followed tradition.
- Who did Aunt Nina have a sibling rivalry with? Velma's father.
- What did Aunt Nina wear on her head? A doilie. Coloured ones to match her clothes. Why? Velma's mother said she was balding and felt self-conscious.
- How old was Velma when she became Aunt Nina's companion? 17.