Chapter Five: Hannah
Activity 1 - Vocabulary
Learners look these words up and use them in sentences to show the meaning of the word (Handout 1).
Activity 2 – Review of Vocabulary
Learners find the words from Chapters 1 – 5 in the word search.
Activity 3 – Chapter Questions
Learners answer questions about the chapter. The questions are listed on Handout 3. Below are the questions and answers for the instructor.
- What does jalgisick mean? Fishhook in Gwich'in.
- How did Moses Peter wed Hannah William? It was an arranged marriage.
- Did Hannah love Moses? No.
- Why did she marry him? It was tradition.
- Why did Moses regret Edison? Because Hannah said he was someone else's son out of spite.
- What kind of temper did Hannah have? Give examples. Bad temper. Flew into fits of rage. Sometimes throw Edison out of the house.
- What two treasures did Edison and Mae inherit at grandmother Maggie's house? Stories and biscuits.
- Why do you think Maggie didn't approach Hannah about her behaviour? It was not the tradition of the people to scold or tell others what to do.