Activity 5 – Discussion and Extended Activities
- What do you think of arranged marriages? What do you think about honouring tradition?
- The Gwich'in Elders held many beliefs, but would not speak of them to children. What is a belief in your culture? or What is an old belief you heard from elders?
- How do you think Edison would have faired as an adult? How do you think the abuse affected his life?
- Add to your timeline—July 4, 1927, mother Mae born.
- When Edison was dying of cancer, Velma's mom saw “the rejected boy he had been”. Role-play: If you were Mae, what would you say to Edison?
- Draw a character map of Hannah. Use Handout 4 as a guide.