Literacy Supports for Person with Disabilities
Funding is available for NWT adults with disabilities to improve their literacy skills. The money is available through the Department of Education, Culture and Employment under the NWT Literacy Strategy.
For more information and to apply for funding, contact:
NWT Disabilities Council
Information, Referral & Support Officer
321B Old Airport Road
Yellowknife, NT X1A 3T3
Toll Free: 1-888-873-8231
Clients can also call if they require assistance completing the forms.
Who can apply for funding?
- Individuals or organizations may apply for funding
- Proposals must show that the funding requested will help to overcome barriers to literacy
- For individuals to be eligible, you must:
- have a disability
- be involved in a literacy related activity
- show your commitment to achieving your stated education, employment or personal goals
- be 16 years of age or older and out of school, and
- be unable to get training or funding for training elsewhere
What type of supports may be included?
- Supports may include:
- Assessment and counseling
- Assistive devices, aids and access technology
- Books, tools and equipment
- Literacy promotion
- Tuition and travel
- Tutor/practitioner training