Chapter Eight: A new beginning
Activity 1 – Vocabulary
- New Words (Handout 1)
Learners match the correct meaning to the word and then write a sentence for each word.
- Vocabulary Review (Handout 2)
Learners study all the words from Chapters 1 – 8 for a spelling and comprehension test. Learners organize the words into categories and write the root word for each word.
Activity 2 – Language Skills
- Expository Paragraph – Stating Opinions (Handout 3)
We all express opinions everyday. Whenever we say what we think or feel about a movie, store, TV show, restaurant or person we are giving our opinion. Learners write an opinion paragraph about the novel Two Old Women. They choose a topic from Handout 3 or choose their own topic.
Activity 3 – Chapter Questions
Learners answer comprehension questions from the chapter on Handout 4.
Activity 4 – Reflection and Journal Writing
- Writing Response: A reading response is an overview of the chapter. Summarize the chapter. Write the important ideas or events. The summary must be short and contain only the main ideas in the chapter.
- Journal Writing:
- What did the two old women and The People learn from their hardship?
- “No longer did they take each day for granted.” What does this mean? Do you think that we sometimes do this too? What can we learn from this?