Pamphlet for Agencies
Books in the Home is one of several programs available through the NWT Literacy Council.
Other programs include:
- 1-2-3 Rhyme With Me
- LAPS - Literacy and Parenting Skills
For more information on this and other literacy programs, contact:
NWT Literacy Council
Parents are their child's first and most important teacher.
Books in the Home is a weekly program for parents and their children to meet and enjoy the pleasures of books and reading.
What is Books in the Home?
Books in the Home is a program used widely in Canada. The program is based on the belief that parents are children's first and most important teachers. In this program, parents learn to read and share books with their children in positive and enjoyable ways. The program promotes reading and writing of both parents and children.
- To create a supportive and encouraging learning environment for parents.
- To provide parents with tools to help their children with reading and writing in the home.
- To help parents prepare their children for school or help with homework.
- To promote life long learning in parents and children.
What happens at the Books in the Home Program?
Parents and a facilitator meet once a week for 4-8 weeks.
Each week parents...
- study a children’s book and take the book home. are encouraged to discuss and ask questions about the book
- do a craft relating to the book
- are asked to write a journal each week outlining goals for the week and their successes
- write their own stories and create a baby book for their children
- spend time reading to their children
- are encouraged to use the books, strategies, and activities at home with their children
What are the benefits to the family?
- reading and writing become a part of everyday family life
- relationships in families are enriched through spending time with one another reading
- parents often become more interested in their own reading and may want to continue in Adult Education
- parents gain skills and confidence in their abilities to help their children with reading and writing
- stronger communication in families is developed.
- children learn to love reading and writing.
- parents share quality time with children everyday
Download PDF version (990k)