Sample Lesson Plan
Workshop #: 1 Date: _______________________
- Photocopy registration form, participant handouts, baby book
- Markers and name tags
- New Book
- Adult reading
- Children's books/stories
- Craft/activity supplies
- Toys for children
- As people arrive: Greet participants and children and ask them to put a name tag on themselves and their children. Children then go to another space for reading/games, etc.
- Introduction: (5 minutes) Introduction of facilitator. Participants introduce themselves and tell one thing about themselves that no one else would know and what they'd like to get out of the workshops.
- Warm-up Activity: Reading Bingo - Find someone who has…
- Overview of the program - Handout Why Books in the Home?, Discuss the format of the workshops
- Group Rules: Establish and flip chart group rules - breaks, confidentiality, etc.
- Book: ________________________________
- Shared reading and discussion of the new book. The facilitator starts reading first and asks for volunteers to read.
- Discuss questions in Journal Response. (Option to have participants fill in Journal Response.)
- Activities related to the book. Arts, crafts, singing, writing…..
- Handout Story Stretcher sheets. Discuss.
- Each week we will brainstorm ideas to try at home and do some here for you to take home.
- Fill in story stretcher form.
- Handout Sharing Stories with Your Children. Discuss handout
- Practice reading the new book using some of the story sharing tips
- Handout What will Your Child Learn as You Read. Read and discuss.
- Northern Writes 7, NWT Literacy Council
- Chicken Soup for The Mother's Soul
- Northern rhymes from Mother Raven Nursery Rhymes by Peter Redvers. The facilitator explains to the participants that this time is a quiet time for them to experience the pleasure of being read to. Just sit and enjoy the stories.
Adult Writing - (Baby Book and/or Journal Response)
Baby Book, Journal Response Form
- Discuss that in the workshops, each person will make a baby book for their child(ren). Each week time will be spent working on the book.
- Have participants select the sheets they'd like to include in their baby book/birth story.
- Explain that next week we will take photos of children and parents to include in the baby book.
- Fill in Registration Form
- Feedback from participants. Did you enjoy this session? Did we meet all of the objectives?
- Remind that for next week we'd like to take photos of you and your children for the baby book. Story Stretcher Activity to do at home -
Story Time for Children (15 minutes)
- The facilitator reads a story to the children
- After the story, the parents and children find a quiet place to read their new book together.
Snack: Parents and children share a snack at the end of the session.
Facilitator Reflection on the Session
What worked? What didn't work? Changes to be made.
Attendance Participant Records