Pamphlet for Parents
Books in the Home is one of several programs available through the NWT Literacy Council.
Other programs include:
- 1-2-3 Rhyme With Me
- LAPS - Literacy and Parenting Skills
For more information on this and other literacy programs, contact:
NWT Literacy Council
Parents are their child's first and most important teacher.
Books in the Home is a weekly program for parents and their children to meet and enjoy the pleasures of books and reading.
What is Books in the Home?
This program believes that stories and story telling are very important to share with your children. Reading is one of the best ways we have of loving and caring for our children.
What do you do at Books in the Home?
- Meet once a week for 1-2 hours.
- Read lots of children's books
- Share and discuss with other parents
- Do activities that you can share with your children at home
- Read with your children
- Have a healthy snack
- Meet and socialize with other parents and children
What are the benefits?
- Parents and children read more together
- Children develop language and early literacy skills.
- Families have fun sharing books.
- Parents gain skills and feel confident helping their children.
- Parents’ interest grows in their own reading and writing.
Download PDF version (762k)