- Pour the hot water, sugar and yeast into a large bowl. Let the yeast
proof until foamy, about 15 minutes.
- Gradually add the flour, stirring until the dough forms a soft ball.
- Turn the dough out onto the counter and knead for about 5 minutes.
- Put the dough back in the bowl and cover with a tea towel. Let it rise
until it has doubled in size (40-60 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Punch down the dough. Roll small pieces into long strings, then shape
them into pretzel shapes.
- Place the pretzels on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with beaten egg,
and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.