- Have the children in each class
in your school invite their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers and
sisters to a Reading Party.
- Advertise the Reading Party at
least one week before the event. A Reading Party is a great activity for the
whole family. Put posters up around the community, advertise on the local radio
station, or green screen and hand out invitations at the school. Tell
everyone about it! Posters and invitations are included in this
- Prepare snacks for the families
that attend the event.
- Have the children read with
their parents and other family members or show them some of their favourite
- Give out small prizes to all
your "readers" to celebrate their achievements. (stickers, buttons and balloons
are included in this package)
- Set up a reading circle in the
classrooms and have a volunteer read to children. Look to your community for
volunteers like the Band office, the RCMP detachment or Northern
- Have draws for prizes. (Find
sponsors in the community, contact the NWT Literacy Council for book
- Put up a long piece of paper
around the classroom and ask people to write out their favourite reasons to
read or a book they really like.
- Hand out family literacy tip
sheets (included in this package) for parents to take home.
- Thank your sponsors.