Sink? or Float?
This experiment will allow you to think about why some things sink in water and why others float.
What you need:
- Large plastic tub (clear works best)
- A variety of items (enough for 1 for each child) such as:
- an orange
- plastic action figures
- toy boat
- dinkie car
- ball of aluminum foil
- rubber ball
- empty drink container (water bottle)
- a coin
- playdough (2 equal sized pieces, 1 rolled in a ball and 1 flattened out)
- Allow the children to choose an item to place in the water.
- Before they put their items in the water, ask each child to guess whether her item will sink or float.
- Drop the items one at a time into the water.
- Why do some sink, and some float?
- Why does the ball of playdough sink and the flattened piece float?