Let’s Make a Mess!
GOOP (also known as Oobleck) is a fun substance to make with children. Since it is made with common kitchen ingredients, it is safe for kids of all ages. Be prepared with smocks for the children to protect their clothes.
What You Need:
- Water (room temperature) about 1 cup
1 ½ ‐ 2 cups cornstarch
- Food coloring (optional)
- Mixing bowl
- Pour the water into the mixing bowl.
- Begin to add the cornstarch to the water. Start with 1 cup of cornstarch.
- Stir the water‐cornstarch mixture with the spoon.
- Continue adding the extra ½ cup of cornstarch. You will need to use your hand to mix it.
- If you think you have too much water, add some more cornstarch, and if it seems too thick, add some extra water.
- There is no set rule for making goop; you will have to play with it to get the right consistency.
- When the goop is still it will seem like a solid, and when you try to grab it, it will act like a liquid.
- When you have the desired mixture, it is time to add your food colouring. Slowly mix the colors around with your hand.
- Play with your goop.
- If children seem to be afraid to touch it, you can put some in a ziplock bag for them to squish and play with.