Children love to experiment with mixing colours. Older children can find out the answers to the questions on the next page.
What You Need:
- 3 mixing bowls
- 6‐10 clear glasses
- Red, yellow and blue food colouring
- Measuring cups
- Apron or painting smock
- Old newspapers or plastic for covering your work surface
- Fill each mixing bowl with water. Add a few drops of food colouring to each one (adult).
- Spread newspaper or plastic over the table or counter.
- Experiment with mixing the colours together in the glasses. Measuring cups are useful for transferring colours from the bowls to the glasses.
- Older children may want to write out “recipes” for the colours they create. Include specific measurements and a name for the colour. An adult can help younger children write out recipes.
*This experiment was taken from the Books in the Home Kit, Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?