Here We Grow Again!
Planting seeds allows children to see up close the way we grow our food.
What you need:
- Egg carton (break egg carton into individual “eggs” if using), styrofoam cup, margarine tub, etc.
- Potting soil
- Small rocks or gravel
- Poke a hole in the egg carton or cup to allow for proper drainage.
- Scatter a few rocks in the bottom. This will allow the water to come out without taking all the soil with it.
- Fill the egg carton or cup about ½ full with potting soil.
- Plant your seed by placing it on the soil in the middle of the cup.
- Place a small amount of soil on top of your seed until your cup is about ¾ full.
- Water your plant, but don’t use too much water.
- Place your plant in a sunny window.
On the next page is an activity that you can photocopy as a handout for families to take home.