Whose Fur Is This?
What you need:
- About 5 fur frames (instructions follow)
- Talk about the different types of fur. Which kinds belong to which animal? Why do different animals have different kinds of fur?
- Let the children feel all the different types of fur. Talk about which one is the softest, which one is the longest, which one is the shortest, etc.
- Feel the long guard hairs and the softer underhairs. Explain that the long guard hairs protect the animal from things like dirt and insects, while the short, fluffy undercoat helps the animal stay warm. Some animals, like wolves, shed their undercoats in the summer to stay cool.
- Blindfold one child at a time and let her feel and identify the different furs.