What is summarizing?
Summarizing is how we take larger selections of text and reduce them to their bare essentials: the gist, the key ideas, the main points that are worth noting and remembering.
How do I summarize?
- Read the article or text.
- Reread the article or text. Underline important ideas. Circle key terms. Find the main point of the article or text.
- Write a brief outline of the important information.
- Write the main point of the article. Use your own words. This should be a sentence that expresses the central idea of the article or text.
- Write your rough draft of the summary.
- Edit your version. Be concise. Eliminate needless words and repetitions.