- Statement of Policy
The Government of the Northwest Territories recognizes
that providing information to the public in a timely, accurate and consistent
manner is fundamental to the operation of good government. Communications
will be managed in an orderly and planned fashion in order to:
- ensure that the public is informed about government
policies, activities, initiatives and programs and services;
- take into account the concerns and views of the
public in establishing priorities, developing policies and implementing
- ensure that the government is visible, accessible
and answerable to the public that it serves; and
- present a consistent and positive corporate image
The Government of the Northwest Territories will adhere
to the following principles when implementing this Policy:
- Adequate information should be provided to the public
or its representatives so that the public is able to understand, benefit
from and influence the development and implementation of government
activities, initiatives, policies, programs and services.
- The status of languages as established by the Official
Languages Act and related regulations or policies and in the Canadian
Charter of Rights and Freedoms should be respected and upheld in all
- Government communications should be free of sexual
or racial stereotyping and shall provide for the fair and representative
depiction of people in relation to sex, race, ethnic origin and disability
and should reflect the cultural diversity of the Northwest Territories.
- To the extent practical, government communications
should take into account the special communications needs of key audiences.
- Government communications should use simple language and clear
symbols in order to achieve clarity and ease of understanding.